THE OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC PROSECUTION OF THE SLOVAK REPUBLIC AND THE PUBLIC DEFENDER OF RIGHTS
PUBLIC DEFENDER OF RIGHTS
(1) The public protector of rights is an independent body participating, within the scope and as required by law, in the protection of basic rights and freedoms of natural persons and juridical entities in the conduct, decision-making or inaction of public administration bodies if such conduct, decision-making or inaction is in conflict with the legal order or principles of a democratic state governed by law.
(2) The public protector of rights is elected by the National Council of the Slovak Republic for a period of five years from candidates proposed by at least 15 deputies of the National Council of the Slovak Republic . Any citizen of the Slovak Republic who can be elected a deputy of the National Council of the Slovak Republic and reached 35 years of age on the election day can be elected the public protector of rights. The public protector of rights cannot be a member of any political party or political movement.
(3) The office of the public protector of rights terminates on the day the court decision becomes effective by which a deputy was sentenced for a deliberate criminal act or by which a deputy was sentenced for a criminal act and the court did not rule in his case on a conditional suspended execution of the prison sentence, or by the loss of eligibility.
(4) The National Council of the Slovak Republic may recall the public protector of rights if his state of health prevents him over the long term, for a period of at least three months, to properly discharge his duties.
(5) Details on election and recalling of the public protector of rights, his competence, conditions of execution of his office, manner of legal protection and enforcement of the rights of natural persons and juridical persons shall be stipulated by law.